03:15:00
A+ A-

BEST OF 2017 Interview with Lee Van Willem


Your Name: Lee Van Willem
Your location(country,city): Bangkok, Thailand

Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest music career achievements in 2017?
Lee Van Willem: Getting support from 2 of the biggest trance legends (Push and Paul Van Dyk) for my track 'Bangkok'.
Dimitri: Can you mention your biggest personal life achievements in 2017 that make you extremely proud?
Lee Van Willem: Moving back to the city I love- Bangkok
1) Best Track from other artists:
'Alex Di Stefano - What's the Catch' is my favorite tune of this year- a huge trance melody with driving techno beats. 



I also love the fusion of PSY and classic trance in Rafael Osmo - Renaissance (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix)



2) Your top 3 2017 personal productions
1- Bangkok 



2- Lost  



3- a bootleg I made of Silver Bath


3) Best Artist (Dj & producer):
Alex Di Stefano is my favorite producer. I haven't played a set without at least one of his tune.



4) Best Remix from other artist:
Rafael Osmo - Renaissance (Giuseppe Ottaviani Remix)

5) Best Remix that you have produced?
My bootleg of Silver Bath is my favorite.

6) Best Remixer:
Allen Watts



7) Best New Talent (Dj or producer):
Paul Thomas- not a new name by any means but I love the new sound he's making. 



 In Thailand, Kno Milligan is one of the best new DJ's on the scene and rarely disappoints.

8) Best Vocalist/Singer featured on Electronic Music track:
I love Zoe Johnson's voice.



9) Best Electronic Music Label:
OUTBURST



MPS



10) Best Electronic Music Video:
I'm a bit raw and old fashion. I personally just love music and I am not interested in music videos- but then I keep watching the stream from Transmission Thailand. It looked amazing!



11) Best Online Social media for communication with your fans:

12) Best music composition software:
I'm still obsessed with Logic 9. Downloading Pro EQ has helped me a lot though.

13) Best Club Event or Open Air Festival:
All TLT gigs amazing. Anyone travelling to Thailand should check them out- www.facebook.com/officialTLT

14) Best personal Dj Gig:
I've enjoyed all of them to be honest. I love mixing it up and dropping some different sounds- be it trance, techno or house. One of the most enjoyable was playing the 'Full Moon Party' in Bangkok. I played an hour of big room industrial techno and then for the last 20 minutes I dropped trance. Seeing peoples reaction to trance was amazing. Closing after ReOrder in Bangkok was a great gig too.

15) Best country that you have played in 2017 and where did you met the best festival/event crowd:
Thailand

16) Best Radio show or Artist Vlog?:
Outburst Radio or VONYC sessions. Also Global Language ON AIR is a show I host monthly.






17) Best Radio station:
Radio 1 for the Essential Mix.



18) Best Online Record shop that you purchase your music:
Beatport is still the easiest to use

19) Best music related website that you visit frequently:
DJ Mag online.

20) Best Smart phone or smart phone application:
I hate smartphones after spending $400 dollars to fix my Galaxy S7. It's still not working.

21) Best Dj equipment (software or hardware):
Can't beat the Pioneer CDJ2000's in my opinion.

22) Best tip that you learnt this year for your Djing techniques or music composition:
I've started using a lot more samples. Cutting up melodies and acids along side my own has made my music sound a lot bigger.

23) Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career in 2017:
Work hard. Don't be a c*nt.

24) Best hobby or activity that you spent a lot of time in 2017:
Travel. I have lived in 3 countries this year.

25) Best holiday destination for 2017 either to relax or to perform in a club or festival:
The trance scene is booming in Bangkok at the moment.

Dimitri: Finally, please tell our readers your plans with your future releases, tracks, albums, collaborations, Dj gigs. 
Lee Van Willem: I just finished my first techno track with a close friend so am looking forward to getting that released. I plan to spend the new few month working on some uplifting and tech trance stuff.
Additional info: